My name is Laura Gergees and I am a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist. I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, having completed my BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy degree from City University of London in 2015.
I have experience of working across different NHS Trusts and also within the independent sector. My experience includes working within early years settings, mainstream primary and secondary schools and being part of diagnostic teams in order to assess and support people with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I am also currently training to become an Expert Witness in order to support children and young people through their medico-legal cases relating to Special Educational Needs.
I consider myself an advocate for neurodiversity and am keen to remove stigma associated with having additional needs. I am compassionate and caring by nature, which enables me to have a high degree of empathy and sensitivity towards people I work with. I am committed to working in partnership with service users and their families, in order to provide a positive and wholly satisfying experience.
Models I work with
I have experience of using a range of accredited therapeutic approaches to support speech, language and communication skills. These approaches include, Intensive Interaction, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), Social Communication, Emotional Regulation and Transactional Support framework (SCERTS), Parent/Adult Child Interaction for stammering and language difficulties, Lego Therapy, Social Thinking. With regards to assessment, I regularly carry out the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-2 (ADOS-2) assessment as part of a multidisciplinary team.
I currently work in the ASD service offering ASD assessments.
Training and qualifications
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy Upper Second-Class Honours, 2015
- Co-Writer & Investigator of publication ‘Can Music Improve Vocalising in Young Children with Language Delay?’ (The Music House for Children, Shepherds Bush, London), 2019
- Michael Palin Parent Child Interaction for Children Under 7 who stammer, 2015
- Makaton (Foundation Stage), 2013
- PECS – Picture Exchange Communication System, 2014
- Intensive Interaction, 2015
- SCERTS (2 days course), 2016
- Lidcombe Programme for Stammering, 2016
- Lego Therapy, 2017
- Manchester Post Basic Dysphagia Course, 2019
- ADOS-2 (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-2), 2019
- Social Thinking (Michelle Garcia), 2019
- ADOS-2 Reliability Course, 2021
- Expert Witness Training Course – Bond Solon, 2021