Dr Susie Meisel
My name is Susie and I work online and at our North East London clinic in Central Walthamstow. I am an HCPC registered Clinical Psychologist, and a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society, having completed a Clinical Doctorate as well as a PhD. I have considerable experience working in the NHS, academia and the third sector. My aim is to help people who come to see me build a rich, meaningful life and reach their full potential in a way that works for them.
I have experience in working with individuals and families who may face one or more of the following difficulties: They may struggle with anxiety, low mood, depression, OCD, stress, or physical health difficulties; or they may have difficulties adjusting to a change in their life, finding their place in the world, have problems building and maintaining relationships, or feeling easily overwhelmed by strong emotions.
Many of my clients are neurodivergent, and I offer support around making sense of what a diagnosis means for the person and those around them, and how to best harness the strengths of a brain that is slightly differently wired.
I have specialist experience working with parents; supporting them in their parenting journey, helping them to navigate the ever-changing relationship with their children, and to build skills in parenting that aligns with their values.
It is crucial for me to place my clients at the heart of everything I do. I strongly believe that individuals are the experts on their lives, and that it is my job to assist them in harnessing this expertise. I aim to support clients in developing lasting skills and trust in their ability to weather the ups and downs of life. My clients say that they value working with me because I am straight-forward, open, and warm, which allows them to explore their difficulties in a safe and non-judgemental space.
The Models I work with
I am trained in a number of evidence-based, specialist models of therapy: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Motivational Interviewing, and Mindfulness approaches. I work collaboratively with each client to produce an individually tailored therapeutic program based on their needs, values, and goals.
I currently work online and hold a clinic in Central Walthamstow, London. I offer appointments during the week between 9.30am-5pm. I work with people aged 12 years and older individually, and with a parent present if the child is younger.
Training and Qualifications
- Technology Assisted Harmful Sexual Behaviour (AIM Project, 2023)
- ACT with Young People on the Autism Spectrum (Contextual Consulting, 2023)
- Introduction to the Theory and Practice of CFT (Compassionate Mind Foundation, 2021)
- DBT for Couples and Families (Dr Alan Fruzzetti, 2021)
- DBT Foundational Training (British Isles DBT, 2020)
- Introduction to ACT (Contextual Consulting 2018)
- Motivational interviewing (2012)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, London, 2019
- PhD, Psychology, University College London, 2014
- MSc (Neuroscience), Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, London, 2009
- BAppSc (Psychology), Deakin University, Melbourne, 2007