Dr Sharon Colozzo
I am a Clinical Psychologist with several years of experience post qualification. I have a particular interest and extensive knowledge regarding supporting those who have experienced trauma in their lives. I enjoy helping people to make sense of their earlier experiences and to gain a better understanding of themselves and their relationships with others, creating an opportunity to develop ways to express and communicate their thoughts and feelings.
Within the NHS I worked in different adults’ group settings such as community teams and inpatient services. I have experience with a wide range of difficulties such as psychosis, anxiety, mood and sleep difficulties, personal development issues, relationship and relational problems. I also work as a marker at the Middlesex University in London.
I believe that the therapeutic relationship is crucial for the therapeutic process: hence why it is important that people feel both understood and “held in mind” by a therapist who is alongside them as they begin to explore and make sense of the experiences that have brought them to therapy. This is why I recognise the importance of adopting an empathetic and compassionate approach to my work.
Models I work with
I have experience with a number of evidence-based, specialist models of therapy: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT), Mindfulness approaches, Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET), Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Integrative Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy.
I strongly believe that there is not just one psychological model that can help people in all situations. Instead, taking into consideration the people I work with as individuals and their circumstances, I use elements of different approaches to help them to be aware of their difficulties and to find different coping strategies.
I currently offer virtual appointments and I will be offering face to face appointments starting from September in Dalston and Haggerston in London. I work with adults aged 18+.
I offer both in person and online appointments to adults and couples from different backgrounds, nationality and pathways of life. I facilitate sessions in English and Italian and I can offer short or long term treatment.
Trainings & qualifications
- EMDR – Sandi Richman, London, 2022
- Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) – NHS, London, 2022
- Experiential Course in Community and Psychotherapy, Philadelphia Association, London, 2021
- Diploma in Community and Psychotherapy, Philadelphia Association, London, 2019
- PgDip in Mental Health Practice, Middlesex University, London, 2019
- Perinatal Mental Health, NHS, London, 2019
- Working as an Occupational Psychologist, British Psychological Society, London, 2018
- Dual Diagnosis, Look Ahead, London, 2017
- Mindfulness and grounding techniques – Obiettivo Psicologia srl, Rome, 2014
- ADHD and LD – Obiettivo Psicologia srl, Rome, 2014
Health Care Professions Council, PYL039121