Dr Nicole Stokoe
Dr Nicole Stokoe is a Director at Avenue Therapies and manages the ASD assessment service.
I have worked in psychological services since 2001 supporting adolescents and adults to understand, manage and grow in their mental health and well-being. I have experience working with a broad range of personal development issues and difficulties, relationship and relational problems, mental health and ill health, clinical health difficulties (for example living with chronic enduring physical health difficulties such as chronic pain and Multiple Sclerosis) and existential challenges.
I value the role of the therapeutic relationship in enabling, mobilising and empowering people to move towards their full potential. The therapeutic relationship offers a collaborative space to explore and understand current difficulties from which change and new ways of being can grow. My intention as a therapist is to facilitate understanding and change that will ultimately enable the client to leave the therapeutic relationship and continue on their journey through life in their valued direction.
The Models I Work With
I work with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Positive Psychology, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and Cognitive Analytic Therapy. I recognise and value that each person is an individual and therefore tailor therapy to each person I work with. I achieve this by using elements of the different therapies that are best placed to support the particular difficulties each person is facing.
I currently offer a virtual clinic and work with people from aged 14 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS), Hogrefe, Oxford, 2017
- Cognitive Difficulties in Adults with Psychosis, West London Mental Health Trust, 2017
- CBT for Unusual Experiences, Delusions and Persecutory Beliefs; Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre, 2016
- Clinical Skills Building Intensive – Intermediate level, Stephen Hayes, September 2016, 2 days
- Solution Focused Therapy 2014
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Dr Fiona Kennedy, 2014
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy for Entrenched Conditions (CAT), ACAT, 2012
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Russ Harris, 2012
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Systemic Approaches, University of Southampton, 2011-2014
- PhD, Acute Mental Health Crisis, University of Hertfordshire, 2012
- BSc Psychology, Royal Holloway University of London, 2003
- Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC), October 2014, HCPC pin: PYL31272
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, March 2017