Dr Lauren Rooney
I have worked in the NHS since 2013, supporting people across the lifespan from young children to older adults with a range of difficulties, including people who have had strokes or brain injuries, long term neurological conditions and learning disabilities.
I have experience of working with a range of issues including anxiety and depression, stress, trauma, low self-esteem, OCD, bereavement and difficulties coming to terms with long term conditions. I also have experience working with clients who have experienced sexual and domestic abuse.
In my current role in the NHS, I work in an Older Adult Mental Health Team, supporting clients with managing mental health problems, the stress of being carers, and working with people with cognitive difficulties including memory problems. I also have specialist interest in supporting people with long-term health problems or multiple issues including both physical and mental health problems. Through my research, I have developed a particular interest in working with couples – particularly where the male partner may be experiencing mental health problems.
I value the importance of a safe therapeutic relationship, where clients are supported to explore their difficulties. Taking the step to see a therapist is understandably very challenging, so developing a collaborative, empathic working relationship is a very important element. I aim to support clients to develop new perspectives and enthusiasm for change based on their strengths.
The Models I work with
I am trained in a range of therapies including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Psychodynamic therapy, Mindfulness, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Behavioural Activation and Systemic therapy. I aim to tailor the model used to you, adjusting the techniques to meet your needs and objectives. We can work to integrate therapies, or use them in their pure form depending on the outcomes you desire.
Training and Qualifications
- PsychD Clinical Psychology 2016
- MSc Experimental Psychology 2010
- BSc (hons) Medical Neuroscience 2009
- Mindfulness Training – The Rowans Hospice May/June 2017
- Clinical Supervisor training – Southampton University April 2014
- Compassion Focussed Therapy – Paul Gilbert May 2016
- ACT for Neurorehabilitation – Psychology Chartered May 2017
- Bereavement and Loss – Southern Health June 2017
- Presented at Men’s Mental Health Conference – UCL 2012
- Working with People with Autism – ADRC 2012
- British Sign Language Level 2 – Portchester Community College May 2017