Dr Kathryn Gaussen
I have worked in the NHS since 2006, working in a variety of settings supporting adults and adolescents with managing mental health problems and helping them to live a meaningful and fulfilling life. I have experience of working with a range of presenting problems; such as Complex Trauma, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Anxiety, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD, also referred to as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder EUPD), Psychosis, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I also have experience of working with couples and in supporting families/carers.
In my current NHS role I work in a community mental health team supporting people with severe and complex mental health problems. My areas of interest include Complex Trauma and Borderline Personality Disorder.
I aim to provide a safe and collaborative therapeutic relationship in which clients can feel supported to explore their difficulties and to discover new ways to view and manage those difficulties. As everyone is an individual I aim to tailor therapy to meet each client’s needs and to make it feel personal and meaningful to them, whilst also taking into account the research evidence.
The Models I Work With
I have trained in a range of therapeutic models such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT). My work is also informed by Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) and Systemic Approaches. I believe it is important to work collaboratively and therefore we can work together using an integrated approach or in using therapies in their pure form.
Training and Qualifications
- Mindfulness, SDS Seminars Ltd – May 2018,
- DBT Up to speed II , Southern Health NHS, 2018,
- Working with Dissociation, BABCP – Nov 2018
- Trauma, PTSD, Dissociation, Greenwood – Sep 2019
- Clinical Supervisors Training, Southampton University, 2016
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Psychosis, Dr Joe Oliver, 2016
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy boot camp advanced workshop, Dr Russ Harris, 2015
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy made Simple, Dr Russ Harris, 2015
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Up to Speed DBT training, Southern Health NHS, 2015
- Certificate in Psychotraumatology, European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, 2013-2014
- Introduction to Cognitive Analytic Therapy, Sussex Partnership Trust 2013
- Compassion Focused Therapy, Plymouth Community Healthcare 2012
- Certificate in Family Therapy, Plymouth University 2011-2012
- CBT for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Charlie Weller Institute 2011
- Anxiety Traps! CBT Antidotes, Christine Padesky 2010
- CBT Boot Camp: Building Core Clinical Competencies, Christine Padesky 2010
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Plymouth 2011-2014
- MSc in Mental Health Studies, Kings College London, Institute of Psychiatry 2008-2010
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology, Southampton Solent University 2004-2007
- Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC), PYL31044