Dr Helena Tucker
I have over 14 years of experience working in the NHS, private sector and independent practice. I have worked with clients of all ages with a range of emotional, mental health and behavioural difficulties in a number of settings including primary and secondary mental health services for adults, community and inpatient services for children and adolescents and learning disabilities and Asperger Syndrome services.
I work internationally and alongside my independent practice, I am a Psycho-Social Expert for the International Criminal Court working with people with history of significant trauma. I spent four years working as a Clinical Psychologist in Uganda, Ethiopia and Rwanda including an appointment as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Addis Ababa University and a Consultant for the Rwanda Allied Health Professions Council. I have extensive clinical experience working across diverse cultures and ethnicities using a culturally sensitive approach.
I offer support to adults experiencing a range of emotional and mental health difficulties including low mood and depression, anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and specific fears, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), history of trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), body dysmorphia, physical health difficulties and behavioural difficulties. I work with clients seeking support in areas such as management of stress, interpersonal and relationship difficulties, self-esteem, identity and sexuality, transitions/adjustment and bereavement.
I have a keen interest in working with people in the areas of physical and mental health and menstrual cycle related difficulties including PMS, PMDD etc.; and using menstrual cycle awareness for psychological well-being, creativity and personal growth.
Building on the profound impact of human connection and deep understanding in the therapeutic relationship, I am committed to creating a space that is collaborative, compassionate and non-judgmental. I support clients to gain deeper insight of what is most important and meaningful to them, which in turn provides a direction and motivation to make significant changes, fosters personal growth and well-being, and creates a rich and vital life.
Having worked internationally with diverse groups of people, it is of great importance to me to use a culturally sensitive approach, understanding and respecting of a client’s background and belief system, informing every step of the therapeutic process.
Models I Work With
I draw on a number of evidence-based models to best suit the needs of each client. These include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness approaches, Systemic and Narrative Therapy, Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Cognitive analytic informed therapy and Psychodynamic informed therapy.
I currently hold a virtual clinic offering appointments on Monday and Wednesday morning, and Tuesday and Thursday all day. I work with people from 18 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- Culture sensitive working, International Criminal Court, 2020.
- Cultural Formulation Interviewing, International Criminal Court, 2020.
- PTSD and the impact of spiritual and religious coping, International Criminal Court, 2020.
- Menstruality Leadership Programme, The Red School UK, 2020.
- Psychological work with interpreters, International Criminal Court, 2019.
- Becoming Safely Embodied, Compassion Focused Therapy. University of Derby, 2018.
- Skills Development in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, University of Birmingham, 2018.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, Bangor University, 2015.
- Transference-Focused Psychotherapy, University of Manchester, 2015.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psychol.) at the University of Liverpool, 2015.
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Clinical Psychology at the University of Manchester, 2012.
- First Class Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons) in Applied Psychology at Liverpool John Moore’s University, 2010.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Registered Clinical Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registration number: PYL32525