Dr Georgina Evdoka-Burton
I have worked in the NHS for over 18 years supporting people across the lifespan, from young people to older adults. The individuals I have worked with have had different areas they wanted to focus on, such as learning to understand and manage depression, low self-esteem, anxiety, OCD, and/or recovering from traumatic life experiences.
I currently work in perinatal mental health supporting individuals and couples to overcome difficulties experienced during pregnancy and/or in the transition to parenthood. I have a special interest in working with complex PTSD, with people who have had painful experiences in life, such as bullying or abuse. I have a background in human resources and I am passionate about supporting individuals to build a more meaningful and fulfilling life at home as well as in the workplace.
In my work I feel it is fundamentally important to listen to and understand an individual’s story and focus on personal goals for therapy. I work collaboratively with clients, using a non-judgemental approach to promote wellbeing. I believe in using a strength-based approach, working with an individual’s wisdom and resources to support them to move forward.
The Models I Work With
I tailor my approach to suit the needs of my client and their goals for therapy. I mainly use Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy and Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT). I also use a cognitive-behavioural approach (CBT), and incorporate mindfulness and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). I have experience in dialectical behavioural therapy (DBT); individuals can also find this skill-based approach very helpful. I have a keen interest in systemic therapy, and I draw on this to consider wider family, social and cultural factors and to support us to identify possible ways forward.
I currently hold a clinic in Bagshot, Surrey offering face to face and virtual appointments on Monday and Friday daytime. I work with people aged 18 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
• EMDR, Parts 1, 2 & 3; Richman EMDR Training, completed 2021-2022
• Specialist training in Perinatal Clinical Psychology, University of Exeter, completed 2020-2021
• Systemic Family Therapy (Intermediate Level) Hampshire & Surrey Family Therapy and Systemic Practice Training Collaborative
• Advanced skills for working with trauma: complex PTSD. Charlie Waller Institute, Reading University 2018
• Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Southampton, 2014 – 2017
• MSc Occupational Psychology, University of Hertfordshire, 2000-2001
• BSc Psychology (Hons), Brunel University, 1995-1999
• Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT). Southern Health Foundation Trust, 2017
• Mindfulness based Cognitive Therapy. Professor Willem Kuyken, 2014
• Cognitive Therapy for Panic Disorder. Dr Nick Grey, 2014
• CBT to treat Depressive Rumination. Professor Ed Watkins, 2013
• Brief Behavioural Activation for Depression. Professor Carl Lejuez, 2012
• Anger treatment: case formulation and the stress inoculation approach. Professor Ray Novaco, 2012
• Using CBT to address Insomnia across mental health problems. Professor Jack Edinger, 2012
Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health Care Professions Council (HCPC), PYL35842