Dr Catharina Haywood
I have worked in the NHS since 2011 and have experience of working with people across the life span, although the majority of my time has been spent working with adults. Much of my work has been with severe and enduring mental health difficulties, however I have also worked with physical health conditions, particularly medically unexplained symptoms. In my current NHS role, I work in an adult mental health team, supporting individuals with psychosis, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety disorders, depression, and borderline personality disorder. I have a special interest in working with trauma and PTSD.
I believe that therapy is most effective when client and therapist approach the difficulty together in a collaborative way. Through the development of a firm therapeutic relationship, I aim to support clients to discover new ways of viewing and coping with their difficulties and of living a life that is meaningful to them. This will be different from one individual to another and I adapt my sessions and the therapy to suit a person’s needs.
The Models I Work With
My primary models are Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). My work is also informed by Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT).
I currently hold a clinic in Southampton. I offer both face to face and virtual appointments on a Monday daytime and Wednesday evening. I work with people from 18 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Southampton, 2014 – 2017
- University of St Andrews, MA (Hons) Psychology, 2006 – 2011
- EMDR focus: attachment focused EMDR, Mark Brayne, 3 days, 2021
- EMDR, Parts 1, 2 & 3; Matthew Wesson, completed 2019
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), Up to speed DBT training, 28/11 – 30/11 and 13/12 – 14/12/17
- CBT for anxiety disorders, Dr Nick Grey, 2017
- CBT for complex trauma, Dr Nick Grey, 2017
- OCTC Compassionate Mind online training module, 2017
- Foundation skills for working with trauma and PTSD, 2016
- Introduction to ACT, 2015
- Art Therapy Foundation Course, Roehampton, 2014
Accredited EMDR therapist, EMDR Europe
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC): PYL34768