Dr Carmen Caro-Morente
I am a very passionate Clinical Psychologist. I have worked in the NHS for 8 years and in other clinical settings prior to this. I have experience working with people across the lifespan, however I have specialised in working with adults and young adults in the last few years. I currently work for the NHS with adults with complex and enduring mental health difficulties.
I have a particular interest in working with people who have experienced complex trauma or difficulties during childhood, and who wish to work on their emotional and relational difficulties.
I value the uniqueness of each person and their stories. I believe in their strengths and potential to develop and grow from their difficulties. I value diversity and have experience working with people from various socio-cultural backgrounds, adapting therapy to their particular needs and preferences.
I feel privileged when people share their life stories with me and together we make sense of what happened in the past, how is that affecting their present, and how to move forward from it, finding exits to the patterns they might get caught up into.
In my work, I take particular care in building strong and collaborative therapeutic relationships, where people feel accepted for who they are and not judged. I believe that walking alongside the individual in their recovery or journey of self-improvement, drawing from their strengths and positive qualities, is the way to helping them develop and reach their potential.
The Models I Work With
I enjoy using a variety of psychological therapies and approaches. I have special interest and experience in Cognitive Analytical Therapy (CAT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) informed approaches, and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). In my practice I also use elements of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Mindfulness, depending on the needs and preferences of the people I work with.
I offer therapy in both English and Spanish.
I offer face to face appointments in Southampton and online appointments. Availability: Monday evenings (4.30-7pm) and Thursday evenings (5-6).
Training and Qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Southampton – September 2021
- Postgrad Diploma CBT, University of Southampton – September 2018
- Msc Clinical and Health Psychology, University of Granada – June 2012
- BSc in Psychology, University of Granada – June 2011
- CAT Practitioner Course – April 2023
- CAT Introductory Course – January 2021
- CAT Process Mapping in Therapy – December 2020
- Family Connections, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust – May 2022
- DBT Up to Speed II, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust – June 2017
- DBT Up to Speed I, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust – November 2014
- Narrative Exposure Therapy for Treatment of Traumatic Experiences Survivors, University of Granada – June 2012