Dr Canan Bektas
I have worked in a number of psychological services since 2005 and this has allowed me to support individuals make sense of, and manage, some of their concerns and work towards growth in their emotional well-being. I have experience working with a wide-range of issues encompassing: mental health and ill health; personal development; identity related questions, including gender and sexuality; relational concerns where the aim has been to improve interpersonal relationships and communication.
I value the ways in which therapy and the therapeutic relationship can facilitate and empower people to build on their strengths and move in the direction of their goals. I respect how different and unique we all are and therefore, prioritise a collaborative stance in my approach and aim to tailor interventions to individual needs. I believe the process of therapy can facilitate the awareness and changes required that can help people continue on their journey through life in ways that are important for them.
Models I Work With
I am trained in a range of therapeutic models and frequently use these in an integrative way and as appropriate to the individual needs and goals of each client. My work is informed by the cognitive and behavioural models (CBT) as well as drawing heavily on compassion focused therapy (CFT) and dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) based principles, skills and techniques. I am trained in eye-movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR) and can deliver this approach. I also incorporate systemic concepts and principles in my work as I believe that a better understanding of our relationships, our ways of relating, as well as wider societal and cultural considerations can offer further opportunities for growth and development.
I currently offer virtual appointments on evenings and weekends. I work with adults from 18 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Edinburgh 2019
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, British Isles DBT Training, Bangor University 2021
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, Richman EMDR Training 2020
- Introduction to Theory and Practice of Compassion-Focused Therapy, The Compassionate Mind Foundation 2020
- PGDip in Low Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Interventions, University College London 2014
- Motivational Interviewing, Dr Paul Davis, Camden & Islington, NHS FT 2012