Dr Barbara Phillips
I have over 15 years’ experience working in the NHS and 5 years in private practice. I have worked in a number of settings, with adolescents and adults, including acute and secondary care services. Clients have presented with a range of difficulties including, but not limited to, anxiety (social anxiety, generalised anxiety, panic, OCD), depression, PTSD, personality disorder, psychosis and complex trauma.
I believe that the relationship between therapist and client is a key factor in the effectiveness of psychological therapy. I aim to provide a warm, empathic, validating and gently challenging environment for clients to explore and understand their difficulties. In my opinion, clients come to therapy because they want to make changes within themselves or their lives; but are unsure of how to do this. I view my role as instilling hope, uncovering potential and helping to facilitate change, at the pace of the client.
The Models I Work With
Each client is a unique individual and I have a range of psychological therapeutic models to choose from so that therapy can be tailored to meet their needs. Some clients prefer a practical approach and want to develop life skills to manage their difficulties. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) and Mindfulness can be useful models here. Sometimes clients want to go into a deeper understanding of their difficulties, perhaps considering childhood adverse events or trauma. Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy and Schema Therapy can be useful in this situation. A client’s preference for a particular therapeutic model is always taken into account when deciding how to work together in therapy.
I hold a virtual clinic during daytime and evening hours. I work with clients aged 14 years and upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- EMDR training part 1, 2, 3 and 4, EMDR Academy (2022).
- ISST Approved Training Module 1: Essentials of Schema Therapy – Conceptualisation and Key Skills, Schema Therapy NI (2022).
- ISST Approved Training Module 2: Deepening Schema Therapy Practice – Working with Complex Cases, Schema Therapy NI (2022).
- Regulating Emotions in a DBT way, Christine Dunkley (2019).
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (8 week course), Rowans Hospice (2011).
- Teaching Clients to use Mindfulness Skills, British Psychological Society (2010).
- Emotion Regulation Treatment, Psychological Therapies Training (2007).
- Compassion Focused Therapy for disrupted childhood attachments and traumatic experiences, BABCP (2014).
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Surrey (2006).
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Therapy for Severe Mental Health Problems, University of Southampton (2012).
- MSc Health Psychology, University of Southampton (2000).
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (2:1), University of Southampton (1998)
Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), PYL 18279.
Chartered Clinical Psychologist, British Psychological Society (BPS), 99953.
Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP), 130297.