Dr Matthew Rosen-Marsh
I am a Clinical Psychologist who has worked in the NHS for eleven years. I have experience working with a range of problems including, depression, anxiety, complex trauma, psychosis, stress and bipolar disorder. I have worked with children, adults, older people and people with learning disabilities both individually and in groups.
I often say to clients that I am a cross between a student and a detective. I am a student because you are going to be teaching me about your life and I will ask lots of questions. I am a detective in that I am trying to piece together the reasons for why things happened the way they did. As Eleanor Longden says: “The important question isn’t what’s wrong with you? but what happened to you?” Through developing such an understanding we can create a psychological intervention, which is best tailored to your needs
Models I Work With
As a Clinical Psychologist I am trained to integrate and apply different therapeutic models to meet the needs of the individual. That might include elements from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Psychodyamic and Narrative approaches amongst others. I am drawn in particular to Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), which is a system of psychotherapy developed by Professor Paul Gilbert that integrates techniques from cognitive behavioural therapy with concepts from evolutionary psychology, social psychology, developmental psychology, Buddhist psychology and neuroscience.
I currently hold a clinic in Hackney, London and offer both face to face and virtual appointments on Wednesday and Thursday evening or Friday daytime. I work with people age 18 years upwards.
Training and Qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology: Salomons Centre for Applied Social and Psychological Development (2009-2016)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Psychological Counselling (Merit): London Metropolitan University (2008-9)
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology (Merit): London Metropolitan University (2007-8)
- Foundation in Core Process Psychotherapy: Karuna Institute (1999-2000)
- BA Hons (History) 2:1. Bristol University (1986-9)
- Mentalization-based interventions for children, young people and their families (Anna Freud Centre, 2011)
- Introduction to Compassionate Focused Therapy
- Introduction to Psychodynamic Concepts (Tavistock Clinic, 2014)
- CFT and Psychosis (Compassionate Mind Foundation, 2015)
- CFT and Acting (Compassionate Mind Foundation, 2017)
- CFT and Trauma (Compassionate Mind Foundation, 2017)
- Clinical Psychology supervision (North Thames, 2018)
Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health Professionals Council (HCPC)