Dr Jack Closs
I have worked in mental healthcare since 2010. Pre-training I worked in an NHS mental health hospital as a support worker, as a charity mental health helpline worker, and in mental health research settings. Whilst training, I gained experience in using psychological therapies across a broad range of NHS mental health services, with adults, adolescents and families. I have worked both in outpatient and inpatient settings. I have worked as a counselling psychologist in the NHS primarily as a therapist, offering CBT, CAT, and MBT (see below for acronyms), to adults with anxiety, mood, trauma, and personality related difficulties.
As a counselling psychologist, as well as learning multiple psychotherapeutic approaches, my training was based on the importance of understanding an individual’s unique experience, and on how this can be explored in a therapeutic relationship. Although there are many things that shape who we are as individuals, it is, I believe, our relationships, both with ourselves and others, that often influence us most profoundly. By developing our awareness of these relationships, we can develop valuable and compassionate self-understanding. I aim for my clients to be able to use this understanding to help them to find ways of improving the quality of their lives.
The Models I Work With
I have experience of using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), Mentalization-Based Therapy (MBT) and psychodynamic therapy. I tailor my therapeutic approach according to what the client wants to work on, integrating different approaches as appropriate.
Training and Qualifications
- The Advanced Master Program on the Treatment of Trauma, National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine, 12 hours, 2020.
- Me, Myself and I: working with narcissism and its pathological manifestations, 1 day, Confer, 2020.
- Reflective Functioning Training on the Adult Attachment Interview, Anna Freud Centre, 3 days, 2020
- Mentalization-Based Treatment: Basic Training, 3 days, Anna Freud Centre, 2019.
- A Compassionate Approach to Recovering from Shame-Based Trauma and PTSD, 3-day workshop, Compassionate Mind Foundation, 2019.
- Introduction to Cognitive Analytic Therapy, 2-day workshop, Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy, 2019.
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, 2013-2017.
- Psychology, MSc, University of East London, 2009-2010.
- Philosophy and Politics, BA, University of Leeds, 2005-2008.
Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Registration Number: PYL35334.